Monday, October 25, 2010

Part one: Things learned about Pittsburgh, PA

This weekend I traveled to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for my brother's hockey tournament. These are some things I observed:
1) Steelers Nation: The Pittsburgers (Pittsburgians?) love the Steelers. LOVE THEM. We happened to stumble into a mall on a football Sunday when they were playing, and at least 30% of people (basically anyone who wasn't a tourist) was wearing a Steelers jersey. This percentage includes small children.
 It kinda looked like this.

2) The Penguins?: The sports fans love their football, but hockey? Not so much apparently. Amidst the slew of Steelers fans, I think I saw one person wearing a Pens t-shirt. Sam, who loves the penguins dearly, went around trying to find a Fleury jersey, to no avail. They had mounds of NFL paraphernalia, but when it comes to hockey, maybe it's not such a big deal.
 On the other hand, I have much love for Sid the Kid.

3) OMG HILLS!: Every street we drove on was on a hill. EVERY ONE. Maybe downtown Pittsburgh was a bit more plateaued, but I think we all had a few moments when we were scared for our lives.
 And sometimes even worse.

4) Getting lost: If you pissed someone off in Pittsburgh, and they told you to "get lost!", I think it'd be pretty easy. Okay, yes, that was lame, but kinda true. There were so many roads/ highways with construction and detours, but mix that in with the semi-mountainous terrain and a bunch of narrow streets and you have yourself a Pittsburgh driving tour. Number of times we got lost: >5. To give you an estimate of how bad it was: we wanted to go to Cracker Barrel for dinner, it turned out it was actually only 10 minutes away from where we were. We were driving around for an hour and a half.
 And our faces looked like this!

5) City of schools: There are a lot of universities in Pittsburgh. I think I counted 5. I don't know if they're all affiliated to one main school or what, but it just seemed that there were a lot of education buildings in a small area.
Simply one picture.

UP NEXT: Part two: Awesome things about Pittsburgh, PA

No comments:

Post a Comment