Thursday, October 14, 2010

Self

There was a masterclass offered at school today, with the speaker being a Canadian tenor, Bernard Turgeon. Aside from the fact that the prof who organized it and sent everyone emails said that it was in room 109 (twice) when it wasn't, it was really incredible. This guy knows what he's doing. And what was really great about it was that he didn't stand there and lecture about proper technique. He drove in the importance of knowing yourself, your identity, and the identity you take on as a performer. He never criticized mistakes, because there are no mistakes; it's all a learning process. What he explained was that when you look at something you've done, you can't say, "I've failed". You can overcome the negativity of the situation, simply saying, "I didn't get the result I wanted that time". I really learned so much in the few hours that I was there, not only from Mr. Turgeon, but from the amazing vocalists from school who performed and worked with him. The power and beauty of their voices was quite intimidating to someone classically inexperienced like me, but it has given me something to aspire to in my voice training.
Second topic for today to be covered in next post...  

No comments:

Post a Comment